Sunday, December 27, 2009

A's Trip to the Doctor

Originally posted 2/18/09
Today we traveled about an hour and a half for A's 6 month check-up. I know that these appointments are important, but it seems like the same thing every time. They check her out then send us to the lab to completely traumatize her. She has gotten better though. Thank goodness!! As the mom who also HATES needles and the whole process of having blood drawn it is torture for us both. I hold her on my lap and talk softly to her while the very kind staff do what they must.
She is progressing, the last time we were there she tried to run out of the room as soon as she saw where she was. She used to SCREAM as soon as we walked in and would not calm down until it was over. But today she did so much better. She did not start crying until they actually started drawing the blood and only cried softly while I whispered to her. She immediately stopped crying when they asked her if she would like a sticker. Of course the sticker. . . it is the reward for having to go through all this, right!! It makes all the pain go away and everything feel magically better.
At least it will be another 6 months before we have to do it all again.
I am thrilled to mention that A has gained some weight. She is now (at almost 5 1/2) 34 pounds and 40 1/4 inches tall.

3 joyful comments:


Doug and Terrye said...
That sweet teeny-tiny little peanut! I would carry a purse full of stickers around if it got that result at my house ;) Terrye in FL

Monica said...
Bless her heart. It sounds like she is a trooper...handling each succeeding visit with more and more courage. I hate needles, too (and I'm a nurse, so that is pretty ironic)!

Debra said...
I found your blog on CWO. You have a beautiful family. I also do not like needles!! SMILES, Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment